Upcoming Houston Competition Showcases One Of The World’s Most Coveted Ingredients: Truffles
More than 20 of Houston’s top chefs will gather at the Hobby Center For the Performing Arts on Monday, January 16 to prove who can make the most delectable dish with one of the world’s most coveted delicacies: black truffles.
It’s the third year of The Truffle Masters competition (formerly named the Houston Truffle Chef Charity Challenge), which features fresh truffles imported from Spain by local supplier and underwriter Diane Roderer of DR Delicacy. The event is also underwritten by Elizabeth Stone of Silver Stone Events and judged by a panel of local food experts that include chefs and food writers.
The 2017 Truffle Masters Competition starts at 7 p.m. General admission tickets are $150 while the $250 VIP tickets include a reception an hour ahead of the event at Artista (the Cordúa Group restaurant inside of Hobby Center), free parking, caviar samples, premium wines and cocktails. Tickets are available for purchase online and the event is limited to 450 guests.
Classical music group DIVISI Strings will provide entertainment for the evening. All proceeds will fund scholarships for culinary and hospitality students. According to a press release, the proceeds from the 2015 and 2016 events totaled $40,000 and were awarded to 25 Culinary Institute LeNôtre and University of Houston students.
Here’s the list of competing chefs in alphabetical order:
- Sidney Degaine, Café Azur
- Robert Del Grande, Café Annie
- David Denis, Le Mistral
- Tommy Elbashary, B&B Butchers and Restaurant
- Maurizio Ferrarese, Quattro at the Four Seasons Houston
- Enrico Glaudo, Ristorante Cavour
- Edel Goncalvez, Fieldings Local Kitchen + Bar
- Jose Hernandez, Radio Milano at Hotel Sorella
- Ryan Hildebrand, Triniti Restaurant
- Mark Holley, Holley’s Seafood Restaurant & Oyster Bar
- Manabu Horiuchi, Kata Robata
- Kris Jacob, Brasserie 1895
- Brandi Key, SaltAir Seafood Kitchen
- Jason Kohler, Central Market
- Adison Lee, KUU Restaurant
- Barbara McKnight, Culinaire
- Omar Pereney, Peska Seafood Culture
- Manuel Pucha, La Table
- Luis Roger, BCN Taste & Tradition
- Sandro Scarafile, Sud Italia Ristorante
- Austin Simmons, Hubbell & Hudson Bistro/Cureight
- David Skinner, Eculent,
- Danny Trace, Brennan’s of Houston
- Lee White, D-Leecious Bites