Houston Restaurants Closing Due to Tropical Storm Nicholas — Updated
Editor’s Note: Thankfully, several areas of Houston were not badly affected by what ended up being Hurricane Nicholas. Conversely, some areas, including the Heights and parts of West Houston, are dealing with extended power outages. So, please make sure to call any of the restaurants below or check the social media accounts for the latest information.
After years of experience with storms becoming more fierce than expected, Houston restaurant owners are playing it safe as Tropical Storm Nicholas comes to town. Unlike a certain other “Nick” reputed to come to town once a year, this is a visitor that no one wants. A stage three flood warning is in effect, not just for tonight, but also for the next three days. Rainfall may reach two to three inches an hour, and that means many roads could be underwater. As Houstonians know, even an hour of heavy rain can render roads impassable.Small streams of water can suddenly grow into car-trapping rivers.
If Tropical Storm Nicholas indeed causes flooding, the best thing to do is stay home — and employees shouldn’t have to go work non-essential jobs, either.
For that reason, some area restaurants are closing early for Monday, September 13, and may remain closed on Tuesday as well. We’ll be updating this list as we receive new information. If your restaurant, bar or other food- or drink-related business is closed or closing earlier, please email us. All of the restaurants that contacted us had the same message: Stay Safe, Houston!
- Palace Social The new gaming venue in Bellaire, which also sports a full bar and restaurant, plans to function as a drop-off point and emergency kitchen, if needed. If Tropical Storm Nicholas passes on without much damage, any collected items can surely go to Louisiana victims of Hurricane Ida.
- Woodshed Smokehouse is closed both Monday and Tuesday.
- Better Luck Tomorrow will close Monday and may reopen Tuesday.
- Angel Share is closed Monday.
- Blk Mkt Birria is closed Monday and Tuesday.
- The Nash is closed on Monday.
- Potente is closed until further notice.
- Saint Arnold Beer Garden will be closing at 2 p.m. on Monday and will be closed on Tuesday.
East of Downtown/EaDo/East Side
- Caracol will close on Tuesday.
- Etoile will close at 4 p.m. Monday and remain closed on Tuesday.
- Kenny & Ziggy’s: Yom Kippur begins at sundown on Wednesday, so Kenny & Ziggy’s plans to remain open during regular hours on Tuesday. The restaurant will be open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday and then close until Friday for the holiday.
- URBE, the newest restaurant from Tracy Vaught and Hugo Ortega’s H Town Restaurant Group, is closed from now through Tuesday, September 14.
- Backstreet Cafe will close on Tuesday.
- Kiran’s will close Tuesday.
- Love Shack will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Axelrad Beer Garden is closed Monday.
- Anvil Bar and Refuge is closing until probably Tuesday.
- Blacksmith is closed on Tuesday.
- Bludorn will close on Monday
- Brasil will close Monday and Tuesday morning.
- Hugos will be closed on Tuesday.
- Grand Prize Bar is closing on Monday.
- Ramen Tatsu-Ya’s Houston location will close at 2 p.m. on Monday through lunch on Tuesday.
- Riel is closed Monday.
- Traveler’s Table is closed Monday.
- Uchi will be closed this evening and will update us when they know more.
- Underbelly Hospitality: all restaurants — One Fifth, Georgia James and The Hay Merchant — are opening for dinner on Tuesday, September 14.
- Monkey’s Tail will close Monday.
- Liberty Kitchen & Oysterette will close at 4 p.m. on Monday.
- Ouisie’s Table will be closed for dinner Monday night and all day Tuesday. The restaurant plans to reopen for lunch on Wednesday.
- Ember & Greens will close at 4 p.m. Monday and reopen at 4 p.m. Tuesday. Dinner service is still be determined.
- Shoot The Moon is closed on Monday.
- Common Bond will close all locations at 6 p.m. and will reopen at 11 a.m. Tuesday.
- Feges BBQ’s Greenway Plaza location will be closed all day Tuesday, Feges BBQ Spring Branch will open at 3 p.m. on September 14 with regular dine-in service and take out.
- FM Kitchen & Bar will close both locations on Shepherd Drive and Montrose at 4 p.m. on Monday.
- The Original Ninfa’s in both locations will close at 2 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday It will reopen Wednesday at 10 a.m.
- Pappas Restaurants are closing at 3 p.m. on Monday and all day Tuesday.
- All of State Fare’s locations are closing Monday at 4 p.m.
- The Union Kitchen is closed Monday at 4 p.m. and Tuesday for lunch at all locations.
- Julep will be closed Monday and maybe Tuesday.
- Laurenzo’s is closing Monday and Tuesday.
- Ninja Ramen will close through Tuesday and is undecided on Wednesday.