Houston Restaurant Owner Marks Hurricane Harvey Anniversary With Free Meals for First Responders
Benjamin Berg now owns four restaurants in Houston: B&B Butchers & Restaurant on Washington Avenue, two locations of B.B. Lemon — one that’s also on Washington Avenue and another in Montrose — and B.B. Italia in Memorial where Carmelo’s used to be. The latter three just opened within the last year. In 2017, after Hurricane Harvey devastated many parts of Houston, he fed first responders for free. Two years later, he’s continuing the tradition the week following Labor Day — and of course now has more places available to serve the first responders.
Berg now calls it his annual “First Responders Appreciation Week.” From Monday, September 2 through Friday, September 6, all on-duty first responders who dine at one of Berg’s restaurants can enjoy a three-course meal free of charge. While guests can’t also eat for free, they can get the same meal for $25 per person. The first responders may need to show their credentials or badge to claim the deal.
Here’s the menu for each restaurant:
B&B Butchers & Restaurant, 1814 Washington
- First Course Choices: Beef & Barley Soup, Soup of the Day, Mr. G’s Classic Caesar, Sizzling Thick Cut Bacon or Iceberg Wedge
- Second Course Choices: Pan-Seared Salmon, Bone-in Chicken Shank, Butcher Shop Burger, Filet Medallions, B&B Italian Special Hero Sandwich, The Washington Ave.
- Sides: Garlic Whipped Potatoes, Steak Fries, Onion Rings, Classic Creamed Spinach or Broccoli
B.B. Lemon, 1809 Washington Avenue and 4319 Montrose
- First Course Choices: Chili Cup, Bacon Parmesan, House Salad or Tomato Bisque Cup
- Second Course Choices: Burger (regular or with cheese or both bacon and cheese), BLT, Tuna Salad Sandwich, D. W. B. Mac & Cheese, Omelet, Chopped Tx Wagyu Steak or Pork Schnitzel
- Sides: Cottage Fries, Onion Strings, Creamed Corn or Cauliflower
B.B. Italia Kitchen & Bar, 14795 Memorial
- First Course Choices: Mr. G’s Classic Caesar Salad, Minestrone, Fried Mozzarella, Meatballs or Antipasto Salad
- Second Course Choices: Grilled Salmon, 20 Layer Lasagna, Alfredo W/ Chicken, Vodka Sauce, Chicken Parmesan or Pepperoni Pizza
If, after the meal, first responders want dessert, all they have to do is ask. Specifically at B.B. Italia, dessert is cannoli filled with sweet ricotta and accented with chocolate chips. For questions or additional information, visit the restaurant websites or call ahead.