Celebrate Houston Food Finder’s 5-Year Anniversary with a Wine Dinner in Rice Village!
It hasn’t been easy, but thanks to our sponsors and supporting readers, we’re very proud to say that November 5 marks our fifth anniversary. There have been near misses. We’ve almost closed twice. However, thanks to our community of readers, we fought through the challenges and we’re still publishing some of Houston’s best restaurant and bar news. That is definitely worth celebrating! So, we hope you will join us at one (or both) of next week’s fun food and drink events! If you can’t make either, we’re also shipping the third edition of our very successful (and very limited) Goodie Boxes next week.
Houston Food Finder’s existence is due to the multitudes who believe in what we do. That includes our current and past sponsors and advertisers, our supporting readers, our editors, writers, social media managers (past and present), website developers and every restaurateur, bar owner, food and beverage company and public relations professional who gave us something for our newsletter giveaways or goodie boxes. Ultimately, our foundation and reason for existence is our readers, especially those who have shared our work with their friends, family and colleagues. I hope to thank many of you in person at one of our upcoming anniversary events.
Tuesday, November 9: Celebration Wine Dinner at Roma in Rice Village
Back when we were having a tough time, owner Shanon Scott of Roma at 2347 University stepped in and hosted a series of weekly, three-course wine dinners. Ten dollars of each meal went to support our work, and thanks to that and other fundraising efforts, Houston Food Finder pulled through. In honor of that, we’re celebrating by bringing back this three-course wine dinner for one night. It is easy to reserve. Just call Roma at (713) 664-7581 and ask to reserve seats for the Houston Food Finder wine dinner.
Here is executive chef Sandro Scarafile’s menu:
- Panini al Polpo (octopus sliders with burrata) paired with Pighin 2018 Sauvignon Blanc, Friuli, Italy
- Spaghetti Carbonara (spaghetti with egg, Pecorino Romano and guanciale) paired with Bertiolo 2018 Pinot Noir Trevenezie Cabert, Friuli, Italy
- Stinco d’Agnello in Umido (braised lamb shank served with polenta and green beans) paired with Mauro Molino 2018 Langhe Nebbiolo Langhe, Piedmont, Italy
The cost is $69 per person plus tax and gratuity. $10 from each meal goes to support our work.
Update Note: The previously scheduled Wednesday-night party at Shoot The Moon is canceled.
Can’t Attend? Bring the Fun Home With an Autumn Goodie Box!
Support our work by purchasing one of our limited-edition goodie boxes. Each box is is chock-full of gifts from Houston-area restaurants, bars and other food and drink businesses and is $49 plus tax and $10.60 for Priority Mail shipping. The combined value of the items is approximately $150 and includes gift cards, coupons, swag, snacks and other fun items. We only make 50 boxes and they always sell out. Purchase the Autumn Box from our Facebook Shop. (Please note: you must have a Facebook account and be logged in for the link to work. If you’re still having problems, please email us and we’ll send you an alternate method of payment.)
If you miss out on this box, watch for the Holiday Box, coming the second week of December. Business owners who would like to contribute an item to the boxes, or readers who have questions about this or about either anniversary event can email us.
How You Can Ensure We Continue Publishing
Houston Food Finder is a complex organism with many different components that all have to be healthy in order for us to thrive. Anyone who likes our work can do at least one thing from the list below to ensure we’re celebrating again next year, and the year after that.
- Advertise with us: click to request our rates and stats.
- Don’t want to advertise? Email to inquire about becoming a sponsoring business.
- Become a monthly supporting reader via Patreon — and be rewarded for it.
- Share our work on your social media.
- Invite your friends to like or follow our Facebook, Instagram or Twitter feeds.
- Subscribe to our newsletter. Oh sure, you think you don’t need one more email subscription, but the Houston Food News of the Week roundup of our top stories is informative and receives many compliments. You’ll also receive a limited number of sponsored emails — no more than two per week, and we try hard to make those attractive and useful, too.
- Share your news with us.
Thank you for five years. Now let’s do five more!
Phaedra Cook has written about Houston’s restaurant and bar scene since 2010. She was a regular contributor to My Table magazine (now closed) and was the lead restaurant critic for the Houston Press for two years, eventually being promoted to food editor. Cook founded Houston Food Finder in November 2016 and has been its editor and publisher ever since.