Top 10 Houston Food Finder Articles of 2020
2020 was a strange and chaotic year — a fact reflected in what people chose to read. Instead of articles on new restaurants and happy hours, readers were focused on grocery stores, takeout and delivery, patio dining and neighborhood joints. Considering the year we just had, these choices aren’t surprising. With the pandemic limiting dine-in options and diners increasing concerns about safety, it makes sense that people were more interested in cooking at home, staying close to home, eating at home and occasionally finding a safe spot on a socially distanced patio.
As we try to navigate the new year, let’s take a look at what guided us through 2020. Here are the top 10 Houston Food Finder Articles of last year.
- During the peak of Houston’s heat and humidity, Sandra Crittenden explored nine shady restaurant patios that offered safe relief from the August sun.
- Sadly, many restaurants and bars didn’t survive the COVID-19 crisis. In our ninth most-read article of 2020, Ryan Kasey Baker documented the loss of a downtown bar and a Heights restaurant.
- Before the pandemic, Cuc Lam, chef of the soon-to-open bánh mì shop Yelo in Katy Asian Town center, wrote about 14 must-try Asian restaurants in the Houston area.
- In June, Samantha Morris delved into a list of her favorite restaurants in Pearland, where she has resided for years.
- Written in January, before the COVID-19 crisis, Carlos Brandon‘s article on the top breweries in Houston was read throughout the year, which isn’t surprising, since many breweries have large outdoor and indoor spaces for socially distanced dining and drinking.
- Though it was written in 2019, our article on the best lunch spots in the Heights remained popular throughout 2020.
- In March, Paul Galvani kicked off his series of favorite grocery store items by documenting his favorites from the ever-popular Trader Joe’s.
- When restaurant dining rooms were closed in March 2020, many restaurants pivoted to takeout and delivery. To help diners support their favorite eateries, the Houston Food Finder team began compiling what became an extensive guide to Houston-area restaurants offering takeout and delivery.
- As the weather was warming up and restaurants were allowed to reopen at limited capacity, Staci Davis explored some of Houston’s best restaurant patios for socially distanced, al fresco dining.
- From bratwurst to mussels, Paul Galvani detailed five of his favorite products to purchase at Aldi, the German-based discount grocery chain.
Now that 2020 is behind us, it will be interesting to see how dining out in Houston progresses in 2021. If the first five days of new year are any indication, patios will continue to to be popular. The real question is when will more diners be comfortable with indoor dining and drinking. Almost certainly, wide distribution of the newly available vaccines is key.
Whatever happens, we hope you will continue to turn to Houston Food Finder to help guide you through the area’s extensive and acclaimed food and beverage scene.